Saturday, September 4, 2010

So, Kiera, why this class?

Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010
Blog Entry #1

Why did you choose this class? What are you hoping to accomplish in the seminar? What is your favorite folktale or fairytale of all times and why?


Cut to me last year pouring over my computer trying desperately to decide what in Isis' name I'd be taking for Fall Semester at school. My eyes were all blurred and I could barely focus with so many exceptions, requirements, and compatibility needs whirling in my head--forget what actually wanted to take. I felt like my head was going to explode. Trying to keep my potential double major in mind, (Technical Theatre/Cinema), I carefully selected over the course of a month what classes exactly I was going to take. Yet even after submitting my final schedule, I still felt like there was simply too much time and not enough classes, go figure. So I continued to search through menu after menu of classes until I came to the SIS link. Sophomore Interdisciplinary Studies. Okay, cool, not only will I be able to fill in more time, get more credits and cover some more requirements for my BA, but some of these classes actually looked interesting.  That's when I came across Folklore and Fairytales. This was it. I have always had a fascination with fantasy works, and what better way to satisfy requirements and find inspirations for my work in film than a class like this? So, here I am.

Reading over the course list and my reading materials, I have developed quite a few hopes and expectations from this class. When considering my major and the main reason I signed up, I hope mainly to understand how to interpret fairytales better so that I might pull from the vast amount of stories to find inspirations for stories of my own. I also want to create a better base from which to pull elements of fantasy from around the world. I am fascinated with all sorts of global cultural aspects and this will be a very satisfying experience for me.

As to the question of what my favorite fairytale or folktale is, it is very difficult to come up with a response. While I am familiar with the most popular if fairy tales, I did not grow up reading any one particular story over and over. Instead, I had many books that were modern spin-offs and comedic retellings of many classic fairytales, which I happen to love very much. But if I cycle through the few stories that I do remember, most of the ones that stick out most to me are those from the Dark Ages/Renaissance eras or the true fantasy tales from the Middle East. Therefore, it is these that I would like to learn more about.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your first entry. You have a story to tell and I love stories and tales, imaginary and real ones.

    ReplyDelete