Thursday, November 18, 2010

Arabic Folktales

In class today we had a speaker come in to talk about Arabic folktales. I've always had a bit of a fascination with Arabic culture so I was really looking forward to this lecture. I was actually really disappointed that there weren't more actual tales told, but it was really interesting to learn about the origins of the traditional Arabic folklore. I did not really realize how widespread the Arabic culture was, though I always knew how influential it was on the rest of the world. I had actually applied to two schools, one Cairo, Egypt, the other in Dubai in U.A.E. in the hopes of studying there. It was, unfortunately, far too expensive. But my interest is still strong and I like to hear about the varying culture of the Arabic world.
I particularly enjoy the 1001 Nights because of the original tales that were deeply influenced by both traditional Arabic and Indian cultures. I would like to start reading more of the tales, though, since this is one of the main reasons I took the class. One day, I would like to take some of the tales because I want to make beautiful renditions of them cinematically, so that they might be able to adapt to the changing times, and maybe it will help the stories to survive longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment